Light and healthy vegan mushroom tacos with an amazingly creamy cheese sauce made from squash!
Mexican food has always been one of my favorite options for eating out as a vegetarian, and moving to Southern California really cemented my love for great Mexican food. The flavors are bright, filling and nourishing, and tacos are one of the easiest recipes to make. Try to look for organic non-GMO tortillas when shopping for ingredients.
This mildly spicy, squash cheese sauce can be used a sauce for simple pastas or as a dip for tortilla chips! It’s low in fat and can be made nut free if desired. The flesh of the kabocha really looks like cheese.
Try these tacos with some rice or quinoa and black beans for a complete meal.
- FOR THE KABOCHA SQUASH CHEESE SAUCE
- flesh of ½ small roasted kabocha squash (approx. ¾ cup)
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder
- ½ cup coconut or almond milk
- ½ cup soaked cashews (optional)
- juice of 1 lime wedge
- FOR THE PICO DE GALLO
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 4 stems cilantro, chopped
- juice of lime
- pinch salt
- ⅓ red onion, minced
- FOR THE SEARED MUSHROOMS
- ½ pint button mushrooms
- 1-2 Tabespoons coconut oil
- pinch salt and pepper
- TO ASSEMBLE
- 6 3'-4" organic tortillas
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- ¼ bunch cilantro
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ½ red bell pepper, sliced
- For the kabocha cheese sauce:
- Blend together the squash, cashews, nutritional yeast, salt, chipotle powder, coconut ilk, and lime juice until smooth. Set aside until ready to use. Serve hot or cold.
- For the pico de gallo:
- Toss together the tomato, jalapeno, onion, cilantro, lime and salt and set aside until ready to use.
- For the seared mushroom topping:
- Saute mushrooms in the coconut 2-3 minutes until tender and crispy. Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble the tacos:
- Warm the tortillas lightly in a pan. Fill each one with a little mushroom and pico de gallo. Top with some of the kabocha cheese sauce, shredded lettuce and cilantro. Add avocado and sliced bell pepper for color if desired.