I have always loved candy canes-the cheery red and white stripes are so Christmasy! And the smell of peppermint and gingerbread instantly transport me to memories of childhood Christmas celebrations.
Even though the weather is cold outside, don’t worry-you’ll want to finish off these pretty little vegan and GF peppermint goji ice cream sandwiches with gingerbread cookies. The cookies are soft and cakey, not hard like a gingersnap. I like them better that way-the sandwich doesn’t fall apart! AND the cookies are made with chickpeas for an extra protein kick.
- 2½ cups cashew milk
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ cup agave
- 1 cup young Thai coconut meat
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract or oil
- ¼ cup goji berries, soaked 1 hours and drained
- 2-3 candy canes, crushed
- ¼ cup vegan butter, like Earth Balance
- ⅓ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup chopped dates
- ¼ cup + 2 Tablespoons molasses
- 1 “flax egg” (1½ Tablespoon ground flax seed and 3 Tablespoons water set in a dish until gelatinous)
- 1 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 1¼ cup cooked chickpeas
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- zest of 1 orange
- 2-3 organic candy canes, crushed or pulsed in a food processor
- Blend all the ingredients well until smooth, EXCEPT the cany canes. If you have an ice cream machine, process the mixture according to the manufacturer's instructions. Fold n the candy cane pieces by hand and place in the freezer to set up. (If you don't have a machine, put the mixture into a pan and freeze until solid, stirring every hour if possible.)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Blend all ingredients in your food processor until smooth.
- Scoop the dough onto a greased or parchment covered baking sheet. Pat down with your fingers to flatten the cookies.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Makes about 3 dozen small cookies
- Scoop some of the ice cream in between 2 of the cooled cookies. Roll in the crushed candy canes on one side of the cookies. Freeze and allow to set.