Fresh, flavorful, gluten-free pizza with romesco, thick cut tomato, watercress and creamy macadamia ricotta.
No reason to miss pizza after transitioning to a vegan diet! Macadamias and cashews make brilliant cheeses and there are endless vegan toppings you can try. And even better if it’s gluten-free!
Today I threw together a delicious thin crust pizza with a smokey almond romesco, fresh macadamia ricotta, oven roasted tomatoes and spicy watercress.
Romesco is such a versatile sauce-it can be used for pizza, as a dip for crudite and flatbread. It’s rich flavor complements the mildly tangy macadamia ricotta. Toss it in pasta, use it as a substitute for hummus, or serve with freshly cut carrots and cucumbers.
- 4 bell peppers, roasted
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 package Bob’s Red Mill gluten free pizza crust
- 3 teaspoons ground flax
- 1½ cups warm water
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 package yeast (it comes in the pizza crust bag)
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, soaked 24 hours and rinsed
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- For the sauce:
- Roast the red bell peppers in a 350 F oven in an oiled roasting dish for about 15-20 minutes or until the pepper skins have browned.
- Place the sauce ingredients into a blender and puree until smooth.
- Process the ingredients in a food processor until crumbly, adding water little by little as needed to keep the mixture moving.
- Mix the flax and the warm water together and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Add this mixture to the pizza crust mix along with the olive oil and salt.
- Knead until fully incorporated and form into a ball. Allow to sit covered in plastic for 1 hour.
- When ready, roll out onto a floured board with a rolling pin into desired shape.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the rolled crust onto a greased baking tray.
- Top with sauce and sliced tomatoes.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until crust is done.
- For the last 5 minutes of baking, add the crumbled macadamia cheese. After it's out of the oven, right before serving, top with watercress.