Healthy, vegan muffins with a delicious low sugar gooseberry jam. Completely gluten, dairy, and wheat free, these easy muffins give you sustained energy! Earthy and mildly sweet gooseberries make an unusual and almost savory jam.
Gooseberries are a South American fruit that resemble a tomatillo, but are great paired with undertones of vanilla and tropical fruit. Enjoy this low sugar jam with toast or as a topping for oatmeal as well. The moist jam center gives the perfect amount of sweetness to these healthy muffins.
This recipe was inspired by Minimalist Baker, one of my favorite vegan blogs!
- 2 Tablespoons ground flax + 6 Tablespoons water
- 2 ripe bananas
- 3 Tablespoons coconut nectar or brown rice syrup
- 3 Tablespoons almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup almond flour or almond meal
- ¾ cup oat flour
- 1 pint cape gooseberries
- ¼ cup cape gooseberry jam*
- 2 pints cape gooseberries, papery hulls removed
- 1 large mango, pitted and sliced
- 8 oz. coconut sugar*
- 1 teaspoon agar-agar (powdered)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the flax meal and the water and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Mash the bananas until smooth.
- Mix the dry ingredients well and add the banana, flax/water mixture, coconut nectar or brown rice syrup, vanilla extract, and almond milk. Mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into muffin tray, filling halfway.
- Make a well and add i teaspoon of the gooseberry jam, or any other jam of your liking.
- Spoon a little more of the muffin batter on top till the muffin tray is ¾ full. Top it with ½ gooseberry.
- Bake 12-15 minutes at 350 F.
- Allow to cool thoroughly before removing from tray!